2015年10月15日木曜日

About My Book

The book I chose is "Dining in Japan". This book consists of four parts.

In the first part, many kinds of Japanese food are introduced. For example, sushi, tempura, sukiyaki, yakitori, kaiseki, udon, okonomiyaki, takoyaki and so on. Also, about Japanese specific holidays are written. For example, it's said that during New Year's Holiday, Japanese eat zoni (soup with mochi, vegetables, and meat or fish), osechi-ryori and nanakusa-gayu.

In the second part, takeout dining such as bento, sandwiches and Japanese convenience stores are introduced.

In the third part, there are many recipes which are related to Japanese ingredients. For example, how we can make plain white rice (gohan) or sushi rice (sumeshi). Also, Japanese traditional foods, salted fish and dried fish are explained. For example, shio-jake (salted salmon), himono (sun-dried fish) and shirasu (salted and boiled small sardines) are. Moreover, we can learn about Japanese soup stock (dashi) and its recipe.

In the forth part, we can learn about etiquette and manners. For example, tatami is common in Japan. But, for many foreign people, tatami is unaccustomed. So, in this book, how people should act according to Japanese unique custom.

This book is mainly written for foreign people who are interested in Japan or who will visit Japan. However, I think for many people (including me), there are some unknown things about Japanese food. So, I chose this book and I want to get new acknowledge of our national food.

4 件のコメント:

  1. I'm studying about food culture in the world, so I'm interested in Japanese food culture too. There are a lot of unknown things about Japanese food culture. I'm looking forward to your posts :)

    返信削除
  2. Although I'm Japanese, I don't know well about Japanese food culture actually and I can't answer properly if asked by foreigners about that. So your blog will be helpful to make me prepare for that and I'm looking forward to your updating.

    返信削除
  3. I'm interested in history of Bento culture! Now it becomes a kind of art, I think. Also Japanese people sometimes go on trip to eat Gotochi Bento like Ekiben. I'm curious why people are fascinated by Bento.

    返信削除
  4. I'm interested in the book because it covers all types of things related to Japanese food. Especially, I was fascinated with the fourth part which is written about Japanese etiquette and manners. I want to read your book.

    返信削除