2015年11月21日土曜日

About My Book 3

Hello. Today, I want to tell you about the etiquette and manners which are written in my book.
First point is “entering”.
When you enter Japanese house, you should take shoes off. Sometimes, waiters offer you a pair of slippers. You can use them except in a tatami room.
According to the dictionary, tatami is a straw-made floor and one of the bedding materials which are commonly used in Japanese-style room. The size is different depending on the religions, but usually, its size is in the 180cm×90cm inside and outside.

If you want to learn about tatami more, please look at this website.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5005759_what-tatami-room.html

Second point is “seating”.
In a tatami room, guests are most likely to be offered the upper position or kamiza. The kamiza is the space in front of the took-no-ma, the niche where flowers and art are displayed. The closer the position to kamiza, the higher the rank of the seat.
On casual occasions with friends, no one cares about formal positioning. However, for a formal business dinner, you should keep this basic positioning rule in mind.
Seiza is the formal way to sit in a tatami room.

Third point is “polite expressions for before and after eating”.
Japanese people say “Itadaki-masu” before they eat. It literally means “I’m going to receive”. On the other hand, they say “Gochisosama deshita” when they finish wating. It means “Thank you for the great meal”. These phrase show appreciation to the host and also express general gratitude for the food. I’ve been grew up in Japan and I also have been taught naturally to say these phrases.

We can learn some points of Japanese manners. Why don’t you try these?

4 件のコメント:

  1. I think your book is useful for your life. I learned Kamiza, Shimoza when I learned 茶道. This order of sitting is also the order from whom we serve tea.

    返信削除
  2. I have always had trouble sitting Seiza because I would get a sleeping foot if i was sitting down in that position for long. :(
    I find it really formal and polite how Japanese have a word to before and after they have a meal.
    The U.S should come up with something besides prayer in my opinion.

    返信削除
  3. Your Information is very useful! There are a lot of things I didn't know.

    返信削除
  4. Your Information is very useful! There are a lot of things I didn't know.

    返信削除